Saturday, October 6, 2007

Physical Fitness: Arms

Your arms have three major muscle groups: biceps, forearms and triceps. I like to work on all all three groups on the same day, but some people work triceps on a different day because it's an opposite muscle to the bicep. Play around with it to see which gives you the best muscle growth.

First I work my biceps. A curl bar usually has two grips, the curved part of the bar. I like to use the inside grip when doing curls, but the outside can be beneficial as well. In both cases, I keep my elbows at my waist to make sure I isolate the biceps. I don't have much gym equipment, so I curl while standing, if you can, seated preacher curls isolate biceps the best. Another exercise I do for my biceps is hammer curls. With this exercise, you curl using dumbbells, except your palms are faced towards your body instead of face up. I like to twist the hammer curl into a normal curl when I get to the top of the motion to work every part o the bicep.

For forearms, I put the curl bar behind my back. With my palms facing up, I roll the curl bar up and down my fingers.

For triceps, I take a dumbbell and hold it over my head with my elbows close to my head. I curl it over my head and then bring it down behind my head.

With gym equipment, you can hit these muscle groups in different ways, but this is a good workout on its own.

No comments: