Monday, September 3, 2007

Nutrition: Grapefruits

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted the last couple of days, nut I decided to take the weekend off to celebrate labor day. Of course, today is labor day and I guess I shouldn't be posting today for that reason, but here I go.

Grapefruits are a wonderful fruit! First, grapefruitd are rich in vitamin C. You can get 78% of your daily vitamin C requirement from one serving of grapefruits. Also, Grapefruits contain a lot of fiber. A half of a grapefruit yields 6 grams of fiber. However, to get this benefit, you have to eat the connecting segments in the grapefruit as well as the pulp. That's not too bad!

Another cool benefit of grapefruits is grapefruit juice helps to detoxify the body. Grapefruit juice does this by incerasing the production of liver enzymes that destroy toxins. Also, grapefruit juice helps these enzymes find toxins, making them more active.

There are also studies that show grapefruit juice helps to fight colon, breast, lung cancer. Also, a study in British Journal of Nutrition showed that grapefruit juice can help prevent kidney stones as well.

So add a glass of grapefruit juice or a grapefruit to your diet!

No comments: