Sunday, September 30, 2007

Wing Chun Fut Kung Fu: First Days

It was about a year ago that I started training in Wing Chun Fut kung fu. Previously I had no experience learning a martial art. There was one karate school that I went to, but the teacher who showed me around had a big ego. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I never went back.

When I first entered Master Lee's school, I was intimidated. I did not know what to expect and was worried there would be a bunch of guys with egos. Luckily, that was not the case. Everyone was very nice. I even made a friend with one of the older students, Charles. The environment was very conducive to learning because kept asking me if I needed help.

That was good because the first few weeks were rough. You're dipped right in the middle if everything, there's no easing into it. The first 20 minutes of class is cardio, and I remember fumbling around a lot and being frustrated at the awkward new motions I had to learn. Now it's all natural, but there was a lot of falling down in those first few weeks.

Remembering that time keeps me humble and reminds me that hard work pays off.

No comments: