If you're a fan of Mexican food, then there's a good chance you enjoy guacamole. Guacamole is made from avocados. Avocados grow on tall trees called Persea Americana, and in the United States, they grown in California and Florida. Personally, I love guacamole, but it was one of the first things are started taking off my list of acceptable foods. I knew it was high in fat and I figured it was just another junk food to avoid.
Boy, was I wrong. Avacados have great health benefits. One benefit of avocados is they are rich in potassium. Potassium helps to regulate blood pressure. Another nutrient avocados provide is folate, which helps fight heart disease.
One drawback to eating avocados is that they are high in fat. However, there's good news: it's the right kind of fat. Oleic acid is a monosaturated fat in avocados that helps lower bad cholesterol, LDL, and promote good cholesterol, HDL.
Be sure to check the ingredients of the guacamole before you buy it to make sure there's nothing unhealthy added to it, but guacolmole in moderation can be beneficial to your diet. The moral of the story is that sometimes things that taste good can be good for you too!
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi,
Guacamole is an avocado based yummy Mexican dip. It was made by the Aztecs as early as the 1500s. Nutrition guacamole is a sauce made primarily of avocado with various additions depending on the region. Thanks a lot...
Nutrition Guacamole
Post a Comment