Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Physical Fitness: Why is it important?

We all have hectic lives. You have to do such things as work 8 hour days, worry about finances, and deal with obligations with family and friends. A day is only 24 hours long. If you sleep, about 6 to 8 hours a day, then that leaves about 16 hours for your waking life. Take away 10 hours for work and preparing for work and that leaves 6 hours to meet all other obligations. That's not a lot of time.

Most often, the first thing we cut out of our daily tasks is taking care of ourselves. When you think about it however, this is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. If you sacrifice taking care of yourself in the short term, you will not have long term success in life because you body is the foundation of all things you do. We cannot build our foundation on sand. Here's an example. All of our lives get hectic. If your boss asks you to work late to finish a project, clearly you can't say, "sorry, I'm going to the gym instead". That won't go over well. What you can do is find ways of getting your workout done while you're at work or set aside some time after work to get some of your workout in.

I actually do crunches at work with a bunch of colleagues. We set aside 15 minutes in the morning just to do 200 crunches and 100 leg lifts. We do it every day of work. I personally have done 32 weeks in a row of crunches and leg lifts. I am up to 400 crunches and 200 leg lifts a day. You're probably thinking, "No way! You must not have a life." My life is as hectic as everyone else, but I make my health a priority. I treat my body as my temple. Our bodies give us the ability to live our lives, so it's a necessity to take of it or else all there short term emergencies will destroy your long term life success.

This is why physical fitness is important. Maintaining our bodies gives us the ability to do our life activities more effectively and efficiently. So it is always in our best interest to set aside part of our day to take care of our bodies. I'm not at all saying it's easy, but it's definitely worth the effort!

No comments: