Monday, July 30, 2007

Spirituality: Isaiah 58

Reading the Bible, I came across Isaiah chapter 58. This chapter reads as if God is talking directly to us. The theme of this passage is truth. Being truthful in all aspects of your life.

The chapter begins by pointing out people who act god fearing in church but then act however they want outside of church. People ask,"'We have fasted before you!' they say. 'Why aren't you impressed?'"

The Lord responds,"'I will tell you why!' I respond. 'It's because you are fasting to please yourselves.' Then there is a list of sinful things the people fasting are doing such as being mean to their workers and fighting with others. This hypocrisy falls in disfavor with the Lord. If you are to worship the Lord, that worship cannot begin and end in the church. Every part of your life is opportunity to worship by making the lives of others better and being a good person.

The Lord then derides the people fasting by saying they are showing off their worship to get praise from others. The Lord says,"You dress in burlap and cover yourselves with ash. Is this what you call fasting?" We all know people like this. All of us at times are concerned about what others think. If you are sacrificing something for the Lord, then for it to be special, you must keep it private . Otherwise, when you show off what you are doing for God, then it ceases to be just for him because you are now seeking praise from humans as well.

The chapter does give a way to be blessed by God. "Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless." "Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal." Clearly, helping those in need and being kind to others will lead to many blessings. I think I like the sound of that.

No comments: