Monday, July 23, 2007

Spirituality: Book of Esther

I do not think anyone one religion is better than another. Once faith gets put into an organization, much of the meaning gets lost. Whatever it is that helps you get closer to God is great! I am choosing the Bible, but I believe there are many avenues to enlightment.

I am starting my reading with the Book of Esther. This book is the story of a Jewish woman who becomes queen of Persia in an era where Jews were looked down upon. Xerxes, ruler of Persia, fell in love with her and made her his queen. One of his high ranking officials convices Xerxes to sign a decree to kill all the jews in his kingdom. It was up to Esther to decide if she would help her people and risk her own life or let the Jews die. Esther decides to help her people by talking with Xerxes.

What I learned from this story is that you can never forget where you came from. When you reach a high status, it is your responsibility to give back to the people who helped you. That it is not to say that you act like MC Hammer and put everyone and their mom on your payroll. However, if you can help people make positive changes in their lives, then you will be blessed.

No comments: