This one I got from good ol' Andy Rooney of the TV show 60 Minutes. He usually spends about 5 minutes discussing things he doesn't like. In one segment, he talked about how much he hates getting junk mail. We all get things in the mail from solicitors, recently I've been getting life insurance policy ads, which is a little unnerving.
Mr. Rooney did make a great point. The reason sending out junk mail ads is profitable for companies is because it only costs the company money when their prepaid envelopes are mailed back to them. This is the key to his strategy of fighting back!
Why not mail those prepaid envelopes back? However, instead of putting their solicitation back in the envelope, mail it back empty or rip up some other junk mail and send it back to them. This is a sure way of getting off a mailing list because you are hitting them where it counts, the wallet. It's also empowering to you because I'm sure there are times when you feel frustrated with the onslaught of unsolicited mail. Well here's your chance to defend yourself.
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
WOW. I had no idea that the only time companies were charged anything for the junk mail was if you mailed the item back. So, the initial delievery is FREE. That's a lot of extra peices of mail for the postman to carry that isn't making the post office any money. Interesting. AND..what a great idea of mailing back the envelope EMPTY. I like that.
Now..if only I could figure out a way to get the things I need mailed..for Free.
Post a Comment